Friday, December 12, 2008

Christmas Music at the Holidays

Is it ok? Mrs. Keener has been playing some Christmas music, none of it is religious. Santa Claus and modern stuff. Peace on Earth, love each other etc. The kids have been begging for the Christmas music even. But is it ok? Technically as an arm of the government the school may not establish a religion, and if we had a Muslim or Jewish student in the class, they might feel uncomfortable, but I'm fairly certain that we don't have any.

I was very oblivious about other religions when I was in middle school. I saw Jews and Muslims as people who lived elsewhere, and I assumed everyone at my school was a Christian, like me, and went to church every Sunday. I soon discovered how wrong I was around the seventh grade, but the I can only assume that the students in our class are equally oblivous unless they are the one student who is different, which would be very challanging in of itself and even worse if you are blasted with Christmas music at school.

Any opinions? Is Christmas music, even non-religious ever ok in a public school? Does it depend on your school's culture? We could sing religious choir music sometimes, for its artistic merits. How would you feel about Christmas music being played in your child's classroom? Does the age of the students mattter?

1 comment:

Tarabug said...

I can't say I'm entirely sure about how I feel on the subject. However, I would like to thank and applaud you for your sensitivity. Religious music being sung in choirs is a common thing. I was occasionally upset that our repertoire wasn't more varied in the winter time. I wasn't offended, but the practice seemed to show a certain ignorance about a variety of cultures within the U.S. It's this kind of attention to small habits that makes you such a good teacher--great awareness!