Tuesday, July 21, 2009

Diversity in Education-July 20th

I'm taking a class called Diversity in Education this summer, which requires me to make a journal entry for each day of class. Most, if not all, of my entries for the next few weeks will be reflections on the class activities and readings.

This class has definitely not matched my expectations. Having already taken several classes having to do with issues of diversity in education, I expected a ho-hum revamp of the same info I've heard several times. It's important information, but I sort of feel like I've got it. The activity in class today, however was really fascinating. So now my impression is that this class will, in fact, deal with same issues of student identity and diversity that I've seen in other classes, but will approach it in a new and fresh way, arming me with pedagogical tools that I can then use in the future.

Today's activity asked us to make snap judgments and stereotypes about our professor, and then about each other, and to in turn debrief those judgments and see how right, or wrong we were. It was interesting from a self-serving point of view in that I always enjoy hearing from people the way I come across, the type of impression I give, and I was fairly pleased with the things my partner said about me, most of them were even true. It was neat to examine our bias, and I definitely noticed that my bias and stereotyping was effected by the class I'm taking immediatly before this one, Curriculum Reform for a Sustainable Future. And while the excercise was interesting and a great tool, I didn't feel like it pointed out anything to me that I was already aware of. Either way, I feel like I will likely enjoy the class.

No comments: