Wednesday, September 17, 2008

Day 2

I observed a fourth teacher on the second day of school. Mrs. VanMoorlehem. She teaches seventh grade math and science, although today there wasn't much curriculum and more get to know you. I only observed a small amount of her lesson, I came in when she was giving instruction. They were interviewing each other, and she was going over the interview sheet and went through each and every question on the sheet and discussed the question in detail, giving examples of what you might put. She even made a point of defining a hobby verses a pastime. Perhaps she knew that these students needed extra direction but it seemed like it was a lot more time spent on direction then needed to be. I thought it was really interesting that when she was listing examples of what people might want for a career she listed only blue collar jobs, does that reflect her perception of the school's demographic? I don't actually know what Briggs socio-economic demographic is, although I know that they don't have a large percentage of kids on free/reduced lunch. One of her practices that I did like was that she asked for confirmation from the kids that they got was she was saying, rather then assuming that they understood. She also made a point of addressing what the noices level should be. Then the kids paired up and began interviewing. She has the kids divided into groups of four, and each student has a number. She used those numbers to have different groups of kids do different things as far as preparing for the activity, one group collected text books while the other got the worksheets for the group. The time they spent interviewing was really interesting to watch the kids interactions. Who was really chatty, while others were more quiet. I overheard one (really) little girl going on about how Luke Perry was her favorite actor because he is SUCH a hottie!

Unfortunately I didn't get to see how she ended class because I had to return to Mrs. Keener's class. The sixth and seventh graders are on different schedules, so my class began before hers ended.

No comments: