Wednesday, September 17, 2008

Falling into a routine

After the first few days I spent less time doing formal observations and more time falling into a role in the day to day culture of the classroom. I arrive near the end of Mrs. Keener's prep and grade papers and help brainstorm and prepare for class. I observe and answer questions, offereing help during the core period and flex. Eating lunch with Mrs. Keener and the other sixth grade teachers is always a pleasure, and then after lunch I work on my school improvement project and observe the pm group.

The school improvement project is going remarkably well and I'm having a great time working on it. Since the kids arrived Melissa and I haven't had much time to work on it together, but as of Monday this week the base for the big time line is up. We finished the small ones right when school was starting and I assume the kids are starting to use those by now. I've nearly put in my 30 hours for the SIP already and we are nearly done with the time line so it looks like the work has been well laid out. It was really fun to do the research for the dates, and a GREAT refresher of my World History. Useful I'm sure for whenever I get around to attempting the Social Studies Praxis test. Melissa and I anticipate finishing the timeline either at the end of this week or early next week, which is great because then we are done with the SIP for fall!

Some other observations and reflections I've come up with over the past week or two:

Mrs. Keener has a very specific way she wants kids to do their notes, she has them fold the paper in half and take notes in columns. I don't know if i like that much dication as to how they make their notes. On the one hand, sixth graders don't necessarily have the study skills to make organized notes themselves, but I know that I would be annoyed if I was forced to take notes in a skinny column like that. At first when I heard her say this I thought it was sort of ridiculous, but after grading a set of their warm up, and seeing their handwritting and organization skills, I think that having some level of structure for note taking is a must, columns or no columns.

I had the pleasure of observing a sub on September 11th. Mr. DelMarter is a retired teacher who was subbing for Mr. Smith (6th grade math/science). He began class sitting in a chair at the front of the room talking about himself and his family. He had the kids absolutely mezmerised! He told them about his grand kids, and their names, and then would ask how many grandkids he had, to test if they were paying attention. He's been teaching for 45 years, which is amazing.
He pulled out a tootsie roll pop while he was talking and slipped in a comment about how he gives hundreds of them out. Now the kids are really paying attention because they want to know how they can get a lollipop. As he's telling his stories he looks right at one student, and speaks as if he's telling the story only to him, occassionaly he chaged his focus. He totally impressed kids by having memorized several of their names right off the bat, and making little jokes about them. His whole lesson revolved around the tootsie roll pops. He told them they could eat them in class, if they made sure to take the paper off first. He voice is low and rich, and he speaks very slowly. He tells the kids that if they Vice Principle comes in, they have to hide the lollipops, and the signal is a single snap. Then they must stick their hands under their arms, crossing them, thus hiding the lollipop in the arm pit. They practice. He reminds them they must refrain from drooling. Two snaps means they must wave their lollipops in the air, in hopes of capturing germs from a sneeze so that they may stay home from school. Three snaps means they trade with their neighbor, four snaps means that one lucky kid passes around his sucker so that all the kids can get a taste. As he lays out these ridiculous instructions the kids giggle, but are totally engaged and consumed by watching Mr. DelMarter. I was pretty engaged myself and couldn't help but smile and enjoy the show. His style thrives on individual attention, and a superb storytelling skill. He tells about how forty years ago the neighborhood was different. I don't know how he did it, or what he did but his ability to control and engage those students was magical. They only barely got to doing any math, but he has those students undivided attention and respect. Later in the day he came into Mrs. Keeners room briefly to say hi. Mrs. Keeners kids are relativly well behaved, but she has a fairly active and somewhat chaotic classroom when direct instruction isn't going on. Lunch had just finished and kids were all over the place. Mr.DelMarter started talking and all that changed. They paid attention. They told the students how lucky they were to have Mrs. Keener and that they needed to show her proper respect. He sent Mrs. Keener out of the room and within seconds has all the students silent sitting quietly in their desks with their hands folded, and when Mrs. Keener returned they chimed "Good morning Mrs. Keener, how are you today?" And then the spell was broken as Mr. DelMarter left the room and returned the class to Mrs. Keener. As I said, I don't know how he did it, maybe it's magic ;-D

One thing I've begun to notice about Mrs. Keener's style is that she is very relaxed and allows a lot of leeway in her classroom. There is lots of discussion in which it is acceptable to call out and make off topic comments. So far it hasn't been a problem and Mrs. Keener is excellent at reining things in when they start to get out of hand, though I don't know if I could do it so well. One concern is that I notice that when the class is having a discussion of this nature there are usually several kids who chose to check out and aren't participating, but are rather just staring off into space.

I have more I could type, but these entries don't need to be novels. Look soon for an entry on a Free Time lesson. Such a thing had never occured to me, but I think is an awesome idea for Middle School aged kids.

No comments: