Saturday, November 8, 2008

Cave Man Day

Things are going much more smoothly with my unit this week. We are way behind where I had planned for us to be, but it's more important that the students are getting this, then that they stay on schedule. My observed lesson on Tuesday went well, all things considered, though I wasn't able to video tape the whole thing (the battery died) I did get the first 15 minutes. I am avoiding watching it because I hate the way my voice sounds recorded.

On Thursday we did a very interesting Prehistoric Man thing. Rather then have 3rd or 4th period, the 6th graders were divided up into clans (Clan of the Cave Bear, Clan of the Saber Tooth Tiger etc.) They rotated through five different stations. One was 'Mammoth hunting", some folks from Doris Ranch had spears with the stick you use to throw them (I can't for the life of me remember the name of it) and were showing the kids how to use them. There was a painting of a Woolly Mammoth on cardboard that they were trying to hit (this activity was out in the field). Also outside was a pavilion under which they were making fire by rubbing sticks together. Indoors there was a 'stick dice' game spread out on furs where depending on which symbols were showing when you threw the sticks you received points. There was also a 'cave painting' activity in which students painted on butcher paper using paint brushes made of sticks and leaves. Finally (the one Mrs. Keener and I were in charge of) there was totem making. Students used clay to create pendants with the image of their clan's animal.

Now Mrs. Keener is not a social studies teacher, and doesn't really know much about the stone age (or claim to know). About halfway through the activity she asked me if I knew what the totems were for. I replied that they were a spiritual or religious symbol. That people believed that the spirits protected them and had power. During the next rotation, Mrs. Keener proceeded to use that as part of her introduction to the activity, but in my opinion, she took it a step too far. First of all she used a subjective second person present tense. "You all worship your totem, you will make a pendant to celebrate your totem". After telling them what they are going to do and how they are feeling about it, she led them through this mock prayer to the great spirit type thing. It made me feel really uncomfortable. This kids may have thought it was silly, and she may have thought she was adding meaning, but it seemed inappropriate. She could have discussed the issue in a more third person objective way. I was afraid that those children who's parents are very religious from a mainstream religion might be offended or angry, thinking that the teacher was promoting paganism of some sort. And those children who may be Pagan or Wiccan or something might be offended that their religious views (totemism, shamanism, natural spirits etc.) were being mocked. No win for anyone! I'm glad she decided to try and educate the kids a little more about what they were doing and why, but she could have chosen a more sensitive way of doing it.

No comments: