Monday, November 10, 2008

Things I've noticed

Students sure behave differently when they are on a field trip. This was a while back, but I never got a change to write about it. On the bus to and from Sky camp, I observed how opposit some students behave. Maddy, who is a great student, pays attention, always asks for help and is very respectful was really loud and rambunctious on the bus. Grant, a student who doesn't pay attention, cracks jokes, doesn't always turn in homework was sitting quietly without cahtting with others, just playing his hand held video game and minding his own business. I must admit I was very surprised.

I've also noticed that there is a trade off for semantics of homework. I may have mentioned this before, as it bugs me. A teacher can require that homework be in a certain format. Problems in collumns down the left side of the paper, one line between each problem etc. However, that level of detail for homework layout causes confusion and unnecessary 'mistakes' for the kids. It is a trade off though. The homework that is all organized exactly the same is also much easier for the teacher to grade. Is it a fair trade off? Something else that enters into this discussion is whether homework should be given a grade for being done, or if home work should be graded as assessment and given a score out of a total.

Something I noticed just today is that for a warm up, if you plan on going through the problems, more then two questions is too much, you'll spend half the period going over the warm up. Stick to one or two. If the warm up is just to jog their memory, and they won't be correcting it, doing four or 5 problems is acceptable, but then just move on after they have completed it.

No comments: