Sunday, November 16, 2008

On other people's schedules

I had challenging situation this week. First of all I had two students who were out sick all week, one of them is a student that I am taking data on for my term project, she is also a girl who needs a little extra help usually to really grasp stuff, so I'm really concerned about what to do to get her caught up when she gets back to school. The other girl's mom has been amazing about coming in nearly every day to get homework for her daughter. She even had me explain to her what I was doing with the students so that she could teach it to her daughter. What an awesome thing to do.

So on top of having those students out of school completely, this is also the week that the sixth grade drama class performs their play. I am totally supportive of the drama program and I'm thrilled that the sixth graders get to put on a play. I am also glad that they perform it during school so that the other students all get to see it, however it did make planning my lessons on Thursday and Friday really difficult because one of the play performances was during my math class, so I didn't have nearly half my class for two days! Of the students I did have were some of my top kids. Now I couldn't very well teach a bunch of brand new stuff, because the drama kids would be totally lost, but I also couldn't just ignore the students who were in class either, especially a few of those really 'high flying' kids who were pretty much demanding a challenge.

So here is what I ended up doing. Thursday I retaught the algorithm I had been teaching earlier in the week. It's a way to divide fractions by finding a common denominator work. I like it because it functions the same way that the model method for dividing fractions works, and it builds off of the algorithm they already know for multiplication (multiply the denominators and the numerators straight across). But it is asking kids to think a little more then simply 'flip and multiply'. To make matters more difficult, the other math teacher, as well as many kids parents or previous teachers have taught them the standard algorithm. So getting them to do it this way has been difficult and some of them are just finally getting it now. So I retaught that.

My teacher's policy is that any homework that is a 60% or lower must be redone in order to receive credit, so I have a lot of kids with 'missing' work, either they didn't' turn it in or need to redo it. A lot. As in more then half the class. So after reteaching the algorithm, I posted a dozen practice problems on the overhead, and students could work on makeup/late/redo work, or work on the practice problems.

A couple of my high students wanted a challenge, so I briefly explained to them the extra step in dividing mixed numbers (still using my common denominator algorithm) and then let them work independently out of the book to practice that (even though we aren't getting to it officially until Monday).

Friday was more or less the same, except instead of reteaching the algorithm, I spent some time teaching dividing mixed numbers, but again, I didn't spend very much time on it, just an introduction, because that is my topic for Monday's lesson. I'm glad that students ended up getting some time to work on late/redo work because the number of missing assignments now is about half of what it was on Wednesday. Sixth graders are still really committed to wanting to do well in school and getting all their stuff in, even if they don't always have the organizational or study skills to make it happen effectively.

So the lesson learned is that even though it may eventually be my classroom, I will still have to work around others schedules. And also that some catchup time for students can make all the difference for them getting things or not getting things.

No comments: